Oven Temperature: 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6
Cooking Time: 20 minutes (About 10 minutes for the praline and 10 for the cookies.)
Quantity: Makes 4 cookies
30g (1 1/4 oz) pine nuts or other nuts
50g (2 oz) caster sugar
1 tbsp water
50g (2 oz) margarine
25g (1 oz) caster sugar
75g (3 oz) plain flour
25g (1 oz) ground almonds
1 -2 tbsp praline
Vegan ice cream
50g (2 oz) chocolate
1-2 tbsp boiling water
Strawberries or raspberries
1) Put the nuts in a moderately hot oven (180ºC ish) until they turn pale golden brown.
2) Put the caster sugar and water in a pan and heat gently. The sugar should melt and form sugar syrup, which will then bubble and start to turn brown. When the syrup is golden brown add the nuts and continue to heat for about a minute.
3) Pour the (VERY VERY HOT!) praline mixture out of the pan onto an oiled baking tray or non-stick baking parchment.
4) Leave to cool completely. It should be very brittle. Snap it into pieces and grind to a coarse powder using a mortar & pestle or blender. (You could reserve a few bits for decoration.)
1) Put the margarine and sugar in a bowl and beat together until fluffy.
2) Add the flour, almonds and praline a little at a time until you get a stiff dough.
3) Roll out the dough on a floured board and cut out heart shapes with a knife or a heart shaped cookie cutter.
4) Bake for 8-10 minutes at 200ºC/400ºF until pale golden brown.
Sauce etc... (when you're ready for dessert)
1) Melt the chocolate with a little boiling water in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
2) Add more boiling water if the sauce is too thick. Don't use cold water or the chocolate will seize up.
3) Put a scoop of ice cream onto each cookie and decorate with strawberries/raspberries, chocolate sauce and praline.
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.