Three Bean Burritos
Cooking Time: 20-30 mins
Quantity: 6-8 or 12-16 with rice
The ones in the picture are chimichangas with bean and rice filling. They are made with corn tortillas, which isn't what you're supposed to do, but I didn't have any flour ones left!
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tin of kidney beans
1/2 tin of pinto beans and 1/2 tin of black beans - or you could just use 1 whole tin of either.
1 rounded tsp of vecon stock paste or a crumbled stock cube
1 large portion of rice (optional)
1) Fry the onion in the oil until softened, then stir in the chilli, paprika and cumin.
2) Finely chop the courgette and tomatoes and add to the onion.
3) Rinse the beans in cold water then add them too, along with the vecon or stock cube.
4) Simmer for about 15 minutes then mash lightly with a potato masher.
5) To make the burritos, put a dollop of bean mixture in the middle of a tortilla (and rice if you are using rice), then fold up to enclose the filling. I usually fold the bottom up, roll the sides round then tuck the top flap in.
6) For chimichangas, fry the burritos on both sides in a little oil until they are golden brown.
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.