Oven Temperature: 220ºC/435ºF/Gas 7
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Quantity: 2 large deep-pan pizzas
Or if you're in a hurry, sainsbury's ready made pizza bases are vegan and they're not bad.
425g (about 15 oz) plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
7g (1/2 oz) sachet dried yeast
1 tsp sugar
About 250 ml (9 fl oz) hand hot water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion - finely chopped
1 clove garlic (crushed)
1 tin tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato purée
Dried basil and oregano
Salt and pepper
Anything you fancy! For example:
Sliced Artichoke (tin or jar)
Aubergine Slices/cubes fried in a little olive oil
Grated Vegan Cheese
Instructions for base
1) Put flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a large bowl. Pour on enough water to give a soft but not too sticky dough. Add a bit more flour if it's too sticky. Knead lightly for a minute or two, and leave in a warm place for about 20 minutes.
2) Knead the dough again for a couple of minutes, and leave for a further 20 minutes.
3) Divide the dough into two balls. Flatten or roll out to form two pizza bases at least 25cm in diameter. Put them onto oiled baking trays.
Instructions for sauce + topping
1) Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook onion until softened.
2) Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar, vinegar and herbs and simmer for 20-30 minutes until thick. Season and remove from heat.
5) Spread sauce over the bases and add toppings.
6)Cook for about 30 minutes at 220ºC/435ºF.
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.