Oven Temperature: 220ºC/435ºF/Gas 7
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
175g (7 oz) macaroni
50g (2 oz) plain flour
2 level tsp cornflour
50g (2 oz) vegetable margarine
550 ml (1 pint) soya milk
Salt and pepper
Dash of mustard or grated nutmeg
30g (1 1/2 oz) breadcrumbs
100g (4 oz) soya cheese (optional)
1)Cook the macaroni in boiling water for about 10 minutes. Drain.
2) Meanwhile melt margarine over low heat and stir in the flours. Let it cook gently (without browning) for one or two minutes.
2) Remove from the heat and stir in the soya milk a little bit at a time.
3) Return to the heat, and stir until the sauce has thickened. Add salt, pepper and mustard/nutmeg.
4) Pour the sauce over the macaroni, and stir in cheese (if using). Pour into an ovenproof cookware dish.
5) Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, and cook for about 20 minutes at 220ºC/435ºF until browned and bubbling.
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.