Leek and Cheezly Gratin
Oven Temperature: 220ºC/435ºF/Gas 7
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Mmmm. Comfort food. This also works well with hicory smoked sheese.
1 tbsp vegetable oil
200g (8 oz) macaroni
30g (1 oz) plain flour
30g (1 oz) vegetable margarine
500 ml (1 pint) soya milk
1/2 tsp vecon stock paste or salt
1 block of mozarella supermelting cheezly
2 slices of wholemeal bread made into breadcrumbs
1) Clean the leek, chop it, and fry gently in vegetable oil until softened. Put it into an ovenproof cookware dish.
2) Cook the macaroni in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain and add to the dish with the leeks.
3) Meanwhile melt margarine over low heat and stir in the flour. Let it cook gently (without browning) for one or two minutes.
2) Remove from the heat and stir in the soya milk a little bit at a time.
3) Return to the heat, and stir until the sauce has thickened. Add vecon or salt.
4) Pour the sauce over the macaroni, and stir in about half of the cheezly or a bit more. Pour over the macaroni and leeks.
5) Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and remaining cheezly, and cook for about 20 minutes at 220ºC/435ºF until browned and bubbling.
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.