Oven Temperature: 220ºC/435ºF/Gas 7
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Quantity: 1 large flammekueche
225g (about 8 oz) plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 sachet of dried yeast (just over half a teaspoon)
1/2 tsp sugar
About 125 ml (4.5 fl oz) hand hot water
1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions (or 1 large one) - finely sliced
Vegan sour cream - 1 tub
Redwoods vegan bacon - 3 or 4 slices
Grated nutmeg - 1/4 tsp or large pinch
Salt and pepper
Instructions for base
1) Put flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a large bowl. Pour on enough water to give a soft but not too sticky dough. Add a bit more flour if it's too sticky. Knead lightly for a minute or two, and leave in a warm place for about 20 minutes.
2) Knead the dough again for a couple of minutes, and leave for a further 20 minutes.
3) Flatten or roll out the dough to at least 25cm in diameter. Put it onto an oiled baking tray.
Instructions for topping
1) Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook onion until softened.
2) Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar, vinegar and herbs and simmer for 20-30 minutes until thick. Season and remove from heat.
5) Spread sauce over the bases and add toppings.
6) Cook for about 30 minutes at 220ºC/435ºF.
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.