Cheaty 'Meaty' Mushroom Pie
Oven Temperature: 200șC
Cooking Time: 20-30 mins
Quantity: 1 pie
150g plain flour
100g wholewheat flour
125g vegan margarine
About 3 or 4 tablespoons of cold water
275g mushrooms (a combination of chestnut and field mushrooms works well)
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
50g vegan margarine for frying the mushrooms
1/2 bag of asda's chicken style pieces (or redwood/realeat equivalent)
50g vegan margarine
50g plain flour
450ml soya milk
2 teaspoons of vecon or 1 stock cube
1) First make the pastry. Measure the flours into a bowl and rub in the margarine with your finger tips.
2) Add just enough cold water so that when you stir with a cold table knife, the pastry starts to form into clumps (about 4 tablespoons - less if you use all white flour).
3) Knead the pastry together very lightly with your hands, then cover and chill in the fridge for about half an hour.
4) Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 200șC, grease your pie tin and make the filling.
5) Wipe and chop the mushrooms, and fry in 50g of margarine with the garlic for about 5 minutes, or until they look cooked. Remove from the heat.
6) Defrost the chicken-style pieces (there are instructions on the packet for doing this in the microwave with a tiny bit of water).
7) Make the white sauce. Melt 50g of margarine in a saucepan and add 50g of plain flour. Cook for a few minutes without browning, before adding the soya milk. Add the milk a teeny bit at a time to start with or it will go lumpy and you'll have to whisk it.
8) Leave the sauce to simmer very gently and thicken for about 10 minutes while you roll out the pastry. Divide the pastry into two balls (one slightly larger than the other) and roll out on a floured board into two circles. Line the pie tin with the larger piece and wrap the small one around the rolling pin ready to roll on top of the filling.
8) Stir the vecon or stock cube into the white sauce, and add the mushrooms and chicken style pieces. Pour the filling into the pastry-lined pie tin.
9) Unroll the pastry lid onto the top of the pie. Press down the lid at the edges and then trim off any over-hanging pastry with a sharp knife.
10) Cut steam vents in the lid of the pie and then cook in the oven until for about 25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.