Winter Butterbean Casserole with Herby Dumplings
Oven Temperature: 220ºC/435ºF/Gas 7
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
Quantity: Serves at least 6
This makes a lot of casserole! You'll either need a very large casserole dish or two small ones.
1 large leek
2 cloves garlic
1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
175g greens or spinach
2 tins of tomatoes
2 tins of butter beans (drained and rinsed)
Vegetable stock cube
1 teaspoon of molasses
For the dumplings
250g self raising flour
125g vegetable suet (or vegan margarine)
1 teaspoon of dried thyme
3 teaspoons of dried mixed herbs
large pinch of salt
225ml of soya milk
1) Chop the leek and garlic and fry in a large pan in little oil until softened. Stir in the cumin and paprika.
2) Chop the root vegetables and greens/spinach and add to the pan.
3) Add the tins of tomatoes, the butter beans, the stock cube, water and molasses.
4) Simmer for about 25 minutes.
5) Meanwhile make the dumplings. Just stir the suet into the flour (or rub in the margarine if you're using margarine), add the herbs and stir in the milk to make a dough.
6) Lightly kneed dumpling dough and divide into 12 dumplings.
7) Transfer the vegetable mixture to the casserole dish and top with the dumplings.
8) Cook in the oven for about 35 minutes at 220ºC/435ºF until it is all cooked through.
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.