Severed Finger Biscuits
Oven Temperature: 160ºC/320ºF/Gas Mark 2 or 3
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Quantity: about 15?
There are recipes for halloween finger biscuits all over the internet, but no vegan ones, so I made my own :)
150g (6 oz) vegan margarine (I used 'pure' - the green one)
75g (3 oz) caster sugar
150g plain flour
25g ground almonds
1/2 tsp almond essence
whole blanched almonds - one for each biscuit
seedless red jam - warmed in a saucepan
1) Put the margarine in a mixing bowl and beat in the caster sugar.
2) Mix in the flour and ground almonds, pressing the dough lightly together with your hands.
3) Chill the dough in the fridge for about 10 minutes to firm it up.
4) Roll small amounts of dough into finger shapes. You will need to make them skinny as they puff up as they cook. Pinch the dough to form a knuckle on each one, and make criss cross marks with a knife to make it look realistic.
5) Round the end of each finger, add a very small blob of warm jam and press on a blanched almond to make the nail.
6) Square off the other end of the finger and cover the end with jam to make it look gruesome!
7) Arrange on a baking sheet with space to allow spreading, and cook for about 20 minutes.
8) Keep a close eye on them, as shortbread can over-cook quickly. When they are cooked, the almond should have browned, and the biscuit will not be doughy in the middle.
9) Cool on a wire rack and serve on a board with a knife dipped in jam!
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.