Oven Temperature: 180ºC/350ºF/Gas 4
Cooking Time: 10 - 15 mins + 30 mins waiting
75g (3 oz) brown sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp black treacle
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground mixed spice or cinnamon
1 tbsp water
90g ( 3 1/2 oz) margarine
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g (8 oz) plain flour
white glace icing (icing sugar and water) to decorate
1) Put the sugar, syrup, treacle, ginger, mixed spice/cinnamon and water in a saucepan. Heat the mixture on a medium heat until it starts to boil. Take the pan off the heat.
2) Stir the bicarbonate of soda into the sugar mixture, and stir in the margarine until it melts.
3) Stir in the flour. You should now have a very gloopy 'dough'. Scoop it out of the pan and into a mixing bowl, and let it cool down and solidify for at least 30 minutes.
4) Roll out the dough on a floured board, with a floured rolling pin, until it is about 3 or 4mm thick.
4) Cut out gingerbread men with a cutter or knife.
5) Carefully lift your gingerbread men with a spatula and lay them onto your greased baking tray.
6) Bake in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes at 180ºC/350ºF until they are cooked. (15 minutes gives a crunchier texture.) Lift them carefully off the tray and lay them onto a cooling rack until cool.
7) When they are totally cold, pipe white glace icing skeletons onto each biscuit.
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.