Walnut, Cashew and Sweet Potato Roast En Croute
Oven Temperature: 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6
Cooking Time: 50 mins
Quantity: 1 loaf
A new favourite. As an alternative, try butternut squash instead of parsnip and sweet potato.
350g (12 oz) sweet potato (or 1 large one)
200g (8 oz) parsnip (or 2 medium ones)
200g (8 oz) cashew nuts
100g (4oz) walnuts
1 tsp vecon or 1 crumbled stock cube or a large pinch of salt
100g (4oz) Jus' Rol' puff pastry sheet (optional)
3 teaspoons of mixed herbs
1) Peel and chop the parsnip and sweet potato, and steam for about 20 minutes until soft.
2) While the vegetables are steaming, chop the onion and fry gently in a little oil for about 5 or 10 minutes.
3) Put the nuts in a blender and blend until they are coarsely chopped.
4) Peel and grate the carrot.
5) Mash the sweet potato and parsnip, then stir in the nuts, onion, grated carrot, herbs, and vecon/stock cube/salt.
6) Wrap in puff pastry and cook for about 35 minutes until the pastry is borwned and puffy all over. Alternatively, press the mixture into a greased, lined loaf tin and cook for 45-60 minutes until solid and browned.
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.