Oven Temperature: 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Quantity: Makes 10 slices
This is one of my personal favourites, and one of my most popular cake recipes. I use my favourite cake tins lined with a circle of this stuff.
275g (11 oz) self raising flour
200g (8 oz) caster sugar
1tsp baking powder
3tsp lemon/lime peel
1 tbsp lemon/lime juice
100ml (4 fl oz) vegetable oil
200 ml (8 fl oz) cold water
'Butter' Icing Ingredients
300g (12 oz) icing sugar (sieve it first)
100g (4 oz) vegan margarine
2 tbsp lemon/lime juice
Glace Icing Ingredients
150g (6 oz) icing sugar (sieve it first)
A few tablespoons lemon/lime juice
1) Put self-raising flour, baking powder, sugar and peel in a bowl and mix well.
2) Pour over vegetable oil and lemon juice, and then the water.
3) Beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon or electric whisk.
4) Pour into two round 8" sandwich tins and bake for about 25 minutes at 200ºC/400ºF until cooked through.
5) When cool, sandwich the cakes with 'butter' icing, and decorate the top with glace icing.
For the Butter Icing
1) Beat margarine until very soft.
2) Add icing sugar 50g (2 oz) at a time. Stir in lemon juice.
For the Glace Icing
1) Sieve icing sugar into a bowl.
2) Stir in lemon juice until icing is just runny enough to pour over cake.
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.