Oven Temperature: 180ºC/350ºF/Gas 5
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Quantity: Makes a round 8" cake
300g self raising flour
250g caster sugar
1tsp baking powder
1tsp natural vanilla essence
150ml vegetable oil
350g icing sugar
About 2 tablespoons of soya milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1 pinch of salt
1) Put self-raising flour, baking powder, sugar and cocoa in a bowl and mix well.
2) Pour over the vegetable oil and vanilla essence and then gradually add the water.
3) Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
4) Divide the mixture between two round 8" sandwich tins and immediately cook for about 25 minutes at 180ºC/350ºF until cooked.
5) To make the icing, melt the margarine and let it cool. You could do this while the cake is cooking.
6) Sieve the icing sugar and cocoa into the melted margarine (don't do this part until the cake has cooled). Add the soya milk.
7) With a wooden spoon or electric whisk, beat the icing, and add the vanilla essence and salt.
8) Spread just less than half the icing on top of the flattest cake, then put the other one on top and spread the rest of the icing on the top and down the sides.
9) You could decorate it with grated chocolate or chocolate curls.
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.