Black Forest Gateau
Oven Temperature: 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Quantity: Makes 8 large slices
The cake in the photo is a triple layer one!
350g SR flour
270g caster sugar
150ml sunflower oil
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
170g/6oz soft tofu
100g (4 oz) dark chocolate
1 carton of dairy-free whipping cream + more for decorating
1tsp vanilla essence
1 tin of black cherries, drained, cut into halves and soaked in kirsch.
Chocolate curls for garnish
1) Put self-raising flour, baking powder, sugar and cocoa in a bowl and mix well.
2) Pour over vegetable oil and then the water and vanilla essence.
3) Beat thoroughly with an electric whisk.
4) Pour into two round 8" sandwich tins and bake for about 25 minutes at 180ºC until cooked through.
1) Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
2) Whisk together one carton of whipping cream, the soft tofu, melted chocolate and vanilla essence.
3) Pour into a bowl and chill until the cake has cooled down.
4) Arrange cherry halves in concentric circles on top of one of the cakes, and spread some of the chocolate cream mixture on top.
5) Put the other cake on top, and top with the remaining chocolate cream mixture. Decorate with more whipped cream.
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.