Almond Marzipan Cake
Oven Temperature: 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Quantity: Makes a 7x11" cake
227g marzipan (half a large pack or one small pack)
250g (10 oz) self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
25g (1 oz) ground almonds
175g (7 oz) caster sugar
1 capful almond essence
100ml (4 fl oz) vegetable oil
175 ml (7 fl oz) soya milk or water
A few flaked almonds
1) Roll out the marzipan into a rectangle the same size as your tin. Dust the board and rolling pin with icing sugar to stop it sticking. Set aside.
2) Put flour, ground almonds, baking powder and sugar in a bowl and stir.
2) Add almond essence and vegetable oil.
3) Pour over the soya milk or water and beat with a wooden spoon.
4) Pour mixture into an oblong tin (7" x 11").
5) Lay marzipan on top, scatter with flaked almonds and cook for about 25 minutes at 200ºC/400ºF until cooked through. Keep a close eye on the cake after 20 minutes as the marzipan will brown (and burn!) very quickly.
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.