Mum's Staffordshire Oatcakes
Cooking Time: Batter left overnight or for a few hours. 3 mins frying time each.
Quantity: Makes about 20
These are staffordshire oatcakes - lovely floppy oaty pancakes. My mum is from Staffordshire, and this is her veganised recipe. It doesn't really matter what size of frying pan you use, just make sure it's a non-stick one!
1/2 lb (225g) plain flour
1/2 lb (225g) medium oatmeal
large pinch of salt
Half teaspoon of sugar
1 pint 570ml soya milk
1 pint 570ml water
3 tsps dried yeast
vegetable oil for frying
1) Put flour, oatmeal, yeast, sugar and salt in a bowl.
2) Stir in the soya milk and water bit by bit to make a runny batter.
3) Leave overnight with a cloth on it.
4) Fry ladelfuls as for pancakes in a hot non-stick frying pan. Add a bit of oil EVERY TIME, tiliting the pan before it goes back on the heat until the batter is evenly spread. Cook on both sides.
5) Serve spread with margarine and rolled up, or with a fried breakfast. Can be made ahead and reheated.
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.