Oven Temperature: 220ºC/435ºF/Gas 7
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
I was a bit puzzled recently when it was brought to my attention that this recipe has no bicarbonate of soda in it. Yes, that's rather unconventional of me! The thing is, bicarbonate of soda requires acid to work, so you'd need to sour the soya milk with lemon juice first.
500g (1 lb 2 oz) self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsps water
300ml (1/2 pint) soya milk
1) Put flour and salt in a bowl.
2) Mix milk and water and pour over flour.
3) Knead the dough on a floured board for 2 minutes until smooth.
4) Shape into a circle and cut a cross in the top.
5) Brush top with soya milk.
6) Cook for about 30 minutes at 220ºC/435ºF until loaf sounds hollow if you knock on the bottom. Cool on wire cooling rack.
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.