Vegan Croque Monsieur
Oven Temperature: 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6 or grill
Cooking Time: 10 minutes or less
Quantity: Serves 2
This is basically a vegan ham and cheese toasted sandwich. We had a lot of redwoods products in the fridge, and this sprang to mind from holidays in France.
4 slices of bread
4 slices of Redwoods cheatin' ham
Half a block of cheezly supermelting mozarella - grated
15g/1 tbsp pure margarine
15g/1 tbsp plain flour
280ml/ 1/2 pint soya milk
Smidge/1/4 tsp vecon paste or pinch of salt
1) Toast the bread or grill until slightly crispy.
2) Meanwhile make the white sauce. Melt the margarine in a small saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook for a minute until beginning to turn paler, but NOT beginning to brown.
3) Add the soya milk a tiny bit at a time, beating out all the lumps with a wooden spoon before you add the next bit. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook until it has thickened.
4) Stir in a bit of vecon/salt and pepper for flavour.
5) Compile the sandwiches. Start with a layer of cheatin' ham on the bread, then spread white sauce on top and sprinkle on some cheezly. Add the top layer of bread, spread white sauce on that as well and sprinkle the rest of the cheezly on top.
6) Grill or cook for about 10 minutes until the cheezly has melted and is beginning to brown.
© Cherry 2012. Questions, comments & corrections welcome. Email Cherry at Parsleysoup.